Wednesday, April 15, 2009

A day in the life of a nonprofit worker

1. What is your name, organization and job title (you don't have to give your name/organization if you don't want to- it can be anonymous)
Megan Peterson, National Network of Abortion Funds, Director of Advocacy and Individual Donor Relations

2. What is the first thing you do when you get in the office?
Turn on my computer and go through my email.

3. How do you spend your lunch break?
Some days I’m good and actually take a break, most days though, I eat lunch at my desk either reading email or surfing the web. Surfing the web counts as a break, right?

4. Which part of your work do you enjoy most?
There are SO many parts of my work that I enjoy. I am passionately committed to the mission of my organization and love feeling that each day I am literally, directly helping women and furthering reproductive justice. We get calls in the office from women in crisis every single day and even though it can be frustrating to get interrupted, talking to women who are pregnant and want to have an abortion but don’t have the money and resources, helps make the fundraising and advocacy work I do all that much more meaningful. It keeps me very connected to the reason I do this work. I also really enjoy strategizing and working to make meaningful policy changes – like repealing the Hyde Amendment! – and talking to donors about our incredible work.

5. If someone wanted my job, they would have to…..believe that the right to abortion is meaningless if you can't afford it and that women deserve dignity in making decisions about their lives, their bodies, and their families. They would also have to be able to juggle many priorities are different areas of work, communicate effectively, and think very strategically. Being a problem-solver is also a big bonus!

6. What advice or tips do you have for other nonprofit professionals in your position?
Let your commitment, compassion, and passion fuel you, your well-organized to-do list keep you on track, and your colleagues and allies support you in your work. Also, never stop believing that meaningful change is possible, no matter how impossible it may seem. In terms of advocacy work, I love what Bylle Avery (founder of the National Black Women’s Health Project) says, “If you’re not at the table, it means you’re probably on the menu."

If you are willing to be featured, please email me - kristen@advancementcompany.com

0 comments: