Wednesday, April 29, 2009

A day in the life of a nonprofit worker

1. What is your name, organization and job title (you don't have to give your name/organization if you don't want to- it can be anonymous)
Katie Eukel, Communications Manager at Transit for Livable Communities

2. What is the first thing you do when you get in the office?
I usually walk in, turn on my computer, and start reading through my RSS feeds and checking Twitter. Much of my communications work focuses on advocacy, so I need to be up to speed on what’s happening up at the Capitol. I get a great idea by reading the daily news and checking in with reporters, advocates, and other colleagues.

3. How do you spend your lunch break?
Depends on the day. I’m lucky enough to work above a co-op, so I often just run downstairs and grab a delicious sandwich or some soup. I also make an effort to take colleagues out to lunch, so I’ll set up a lunch date every week or two.

4. Which part of your work do you enjoy most?
I really enjoy connecting with other people who want to make Minnesota an even better place to live, work, and play. Although nonprofit professionals often form my core base of support, I like reaching out to people in completely different industries as well. As a result, I have a diverse network of people to whom I can turn for wonderfully fresh insights and perspectives.

5. Please finish this sentence: If someone wanted my job, they would have to…..have a high tolerance for unpredictability. I can walk in the door expecting my day to go one way, but I have to be prepared for those plans to change very quickly.

6. What advice or tips do you have for other nonprofit professionals in your position?
It’s really easy to work around the clock, but it’s equally important to find a sense of balance in your work and life. The boundaries between my work and life are blurred, but I wouldn’t have it any other way. I’m lucky enough to have a job that I enjoy and find deeply satisfying, so I’m perfectly happy cooking dinner, taking a press call, chatting with my boyfriend, and writing in front of the TV. I’m not sure this qualifies as “great work/life balance,” but it makes my life much richer, and most importantly, works for me. Figure out what works for you, then take the steps to make it happen.

If you are willing to be featured, please email me - kristen@advancementcompany.com

0 comments: