Thursday, June 4, 2009

A day in the life of a nonprofit worker

1. What is your name, organization and job title (you don't have to give your name/organization if you don't want to- it can be anonymous)
Kim Weigel, community relations coordinator for Supports to Encourage Low-income Families (SELF)

2. What is the first thing you do when you get in the office?
I start my mornings by signing-on to check Twitter and non-profit blogs, mostly to monitor the latest fundraising trends, review giving stats, etc. I also dedicate an hour or so catching up on current events from the county and state. My agency is a 21-person non-profit serving Butler County, Ohio (SW region of the state), so I read through some of the smaller town newspapers and Cincinnati Enquirer.

3. How do you spend your lunch break?
A typical lunch break is spent at my desk researching potential grant opportunities, online fundraising trends or reading newsletters from associations and committees I serve. Occasionally I’ll take a break from work to complete a crossword or two!

4. Which part of your work do you enjoy most?
One of the most fun aspects of my job is meeting the clients. It’s nice to hear the stories of how our program participants overcame their economic roadblocks and how the agency as a whole gave them the hope and resources to achieve some of their life-long dreams. My absolute favorite part of the job is the event planning and publicity. Who doesn’t like to plan a silent auction, dinners or luncheons? Also, Writing has been one of my strengths for as long as I can remember. I can honestly say I LOVE writing press releases and feature stories highlighting our clients’ successes.

5. Please finish this sentence: If someone wanted my job, they would have to…..
…Master multitasking, be very flexible and smile like it’s senior prom.

6. What advice or tips do you have for other nonprofit professionals in your position?
At 24 years old, I’m the youngest at my agency and the sole public relations guru and grantwriter. Given numerous responsibilities each day, it’s best to remember to pace yourself and know your deadlines. Try to anticipate what data, photos or quotes you can use for each press release, grant request or presentation. This will come in handy when short deadlines or spontaneous assignments are thrown your way and will definitely help speed things along. Additionally, if you’re new to the nonprofit realm or just wanting to expand your networks, look into associations that will help you broaden your network. The Associate for Fundraising Professionals is a fantastic national club with local chapters in many major cities. Additionally- many cities, counties and even townships have fundraising development committees, collaborations for all sorts of causes and young professionals groups. These are great outlets to meet potential partners, gather ideas and find up-to-date local industry news. Also, never discredit becoming a member of and attending local chamber of commerce events. Again, it’s a great way to meet the head-honchos of your area and develop relationships with local businesses, other agencies and community members.

If you are willing to be featured, please email me - kristen@advancementcompany.com

0 comments: